Here are some interesting facts related to our environment. The idea is to make reading enjoyable and simple and for sure that will suit you.
1. Carbon dioxide or CO2 is a greenhouse gas (GHG) responsible for the greenhouse effect. There are close to 390 ppm (parts per million) or 64% in the atmosphere. Each year the CO2 concentration increases from 1 to 3 ppm or 0.25 to 0.75%. As additional data, the atmosphere is about to 3,000 gigatons of carbon (1 Gt is equal to 1 billion metric tons.
More figuratively, every human being is responsible for emitting into the atmosphere, on average, 4,700 kg of CO2.
Methane (CH4) is another greenhouse gas, present in 18% or 380 ppm in the atmosphere.
Nitrogen oxide (NOx), exists in the atmosphere at a rate close to 6% or 0.32 ppm.
Water vapor, other gases are the CFC’sy the other greenhouse gases in our atmosphere.
The scientific evidence is overwhelming at the time of providing reliable evidence that anthropogenic (caused by humans) are responsible for the rapid increase in their emissions.
2. The main sources of emissions of greenhouse gases that promote global warming process are distributed as follows:
– Transportation = 14%
– Electricity and heating = 25%
– Industries = 14%
– Refineries, mining = 14%
– Changes in land use = 18%
– Agriculture = 14%
– Waste and landfills = 4%
3. Continue the increase in global average temperature as a result of global warming, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said that between 20 to 30% of plant and animal species disappear if global temperature rises by 2 degrees C above pre-industrial levels and close to 70% of the species if the temperature rises 4 degrees C.
4. If only 25% of the families of United States used less than 10 plastic bags a month, would save more than 2.5 million bags a year.
5. Over 100 pesticide ingredients are suspected of causing birth defects, cancer and genetic mutations.
6. For every ton of recycled paper saves Office 1438 liters of oil.
7. About 1% of a waste landfill United States is occupied by disposable diapers take about 500 years to decompose.
8. Americans use 50 million tons of paper annually consume more than 850 million trees.
9. If you reduce 1 degree C on your thermostat will save 10% on fuel consumption.
10. Isolates your attic and reduces the energy loss in most houses up to 20%.
11. One ton of carbon dioxide released into the air can be avoided by replacing 75-watt bulbs with energy efficient bulbs.
12. Every day over 40,000 children die from preventable diseases.
13. It is expected that the world’s human population to triple by 2100.
14. An annual growth rate of three percent will result in a doubling of consumption and other products in 25 years.
15. The global yield of grain crops (base of most of the population) has declined since 1985, despite the intensive use of fertilizers and pesticides.
16. Every day, close to 137 species of animals, plants and insects become extinct due to human causes, equivalent to 50,000 species a year.
17. In 125 acres of forest in Malaysia, more tree species that are found throughout the United States of America.
18. In Peru, in a single bush, may be more species of ants in the British Isles.
19. Currently, 121 remedies have been developed from plant sources.
20. Rainforests higher than 3,000 meters above sea level are called cloud forests. More than half of the world’s tropical forests have been lost.